To be completely honest, for a long time it didn't feel anything like Christmas here. Although I grew up in the desert and Christmas was usually warm and definitely never had snow, I've become accustom to snowy white Christmas's the past 5 years while living on the East Coast. New Zealand doesn't over commercialize Christmas either so in many places you don't even see many decorations or town Christmas trees. It definitely depend on the area and size of the city you are in though because when we were in Auckland it was VERY obvious that is was Christmas! All the department stores had beautiful window displays like Macy's back home and one of the corner building down town that a HUGE Santa with reindeer and presents on it. Obviously not what Christmas is about, but it was nice to see decorations that were a bit more familiar to home. We got our Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago from a local tree farm and that has definitely helped to make it feel more like Christmas..although I am really missing our Willow Tree Nativity Scene that we left in storage in Cali. Last night was fun too! For our Tuesday night service, Heart for the House, we all went to the local retirement home and sang carols for them! Afterwards we went back to the church, played games and had treats. I'm looking forward to the Christmas services this weekend and from now through Saturday I have a whole list of Christmas food and treats I'm making. :) Today we will finish our sugar cookies and I'm making mini meringues for Torre's office. Tomorrow I'm making the Cheese Pierogi and Mince Pies for Christmas Eve and Day. Friday I'm making chocolate cupcakes for Christmas Eve after church. Saturday I'm making the Mushroom Soup for Christmas Day, EGGNOG!!! (I hope it works!), and more peppermint flavored mini meringues to use up the egg whites I'll have left over from the Eggnog. :) We are really thankful for the friends and church family God has given us so quickly here to be able to celebrate Christ and his love with!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! LOVE & MISS YOU ALL!!!
Every month we have an Over 50's Lunch at church that is open to the community! Here are some pics from our Christmas Lunch last week:
Torre and I FINALLY made Strufoli! My Nana used to send it to us in big Christmas tins when we were little. :)
Christmas Tree picking!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment